A Voice of Reason

I received a note from a reader who wrote the following:

"Political blogs are often so blindly partisan that it's nice to find one that isn't marching in predictable lockstep. It's rare to read a page full of political posts without encountering words like RINO or dhimmicrat. You have a new subscriber."

I can't tell you how pleased I was to receive this. As I note on my first post (titled "Welcome"), this isn't a typical conservative website. I don't offer links to prolife or religious organizations -- or Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham, Glenn Beck, or Rush. To be honest, I don't listen to these folks with any regularity. I do tune in to Laura or Sean on occasion -- just to get some info I might otherwise not have -- but I have a hard time staying tuned in. If I do listen to anyone somewhat faithfully, it's Bill O'Reilly. His arrogance is astounding, but arrogance doesn't bother me nearly as much as, say, Ann Coulter's Connecticut drawl. I'll be writing a post about "personality and politics" this week, so more about these folks later...

As for my blog, my goal is this: I'd like to offer a voice of reason at a time of unprecedented partisanship. Yes, I'm conservative; but I part with true blue Republicans in several ways -- which is why I don't sound quite like them. While I have voted Republican in every election except for 1992, I am not a particuarly religious person -- though I believe in God, pray often, and am raising my children Catholic (which is an entirely different topic for another time). I am also, to quote another reader who phrased it much better than I, "ambivalently prochoice," -- which basically means I'm never going to fight for "a woman's right to choose" any more than I'm going to hold up prolife signs that show mangled fetuses. I think abortion is an incredibly complex subject that cannot be reduced to black and white; and for this reason, there are no easy answers. On the other hand, I would never not vote for a President who's prolife because, for one thing, I don't believe Roe v. Wade will ever be overturned; and for another, I don't think it would be any more disastrous to outlaw abortion than it has been to allow it.

But I digress. The point is, I can't claim to identify with hard-nosed Republicans -- though I agree with them about most things -- which is why you won't find the same types of things on this blog as you will on a genuinely conservative blog. I want this blog to be different. I have no desire to hurl insults or scream in unison with my party affiliates. Rather, I'd like to offer something fair and reasonable. I want to share information about my experience as a politically incorrect author that I think you should know, and I want to offer a home for like-minded people who feel they have no voice. I welcome any and all comments, even if they're from liberals. Especically if they're from liberals.

Have at it.

0 Responses to “A Voice of Reason”: