The Miss USA Debacle

We are in deep trouble in this country, and I don't mean that as hyperbole; I mean it literally. It's one thing for traditional Americans to have to pander to the Left by pretending to think differently than they do, and quite another to choose not to pretend -- only to be condemned for being honest. That's precisely what happened to Carrie Prejean, runner up in the recent Miss USA competition, who had the audacity to say on national television that marriage should be reserved for men and women. Forget our forefathers; I'd love to hear what people from the 1930s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s would say about this debacle.

Here is a just a sampling of Perez Hilton's (the judge who asked the question about whether Ms. Prejean thinks the rest of America should follow in Vermont's footsteps by allowing same-sex marriage) comments:

"She gave THE WORST answer in pageant history."

"I would expected Miss CA to be prepared for the question."

"Miss CA was not the perfect Miss USA."

In an interview this morning, Matt Lauer asks Hilton what he, as a judge for the Miss USA pageant (I can't imagine what the qualifications are for such a position), is looking for from the contestants. "Do you want somebody who stands by her beliefs, or do you want someone who panders to judges?" asks Lauer. To which Perez answers, "Miss USA is somebody who should give the right answers."

And there you have it: the right answers. Now you need to pick up a copy of Tammy Bruce's The New Thought Police, if you haven't already -- and you'll learn what's behind this entire thing. Political correctness is an insidious form of thought control. It means publicly insisting something is true when you know in your heart it isn't. It means saying things you don't mean so people will like you.

Such is the mark of any good liberal. Modern liberals have been taught to believe that making value judgments -- not personal judgments, as in "I hate you because you're black or green or purple" -- but value judgments about what's best for society, is off limits. So Americans keep their mouths shut. They say very little about what they really think for fear of censure.

Then along comes this beautiful breath of fresh air in one Ms. Carrie Prejean, who's no doubt unhappy about her loss. Though she'll never know whether her politically incorrect answer cost her the crown, she has her suspicions. Lest she have her doubts, she has Perez Hilton to assure her that it's indeed because of her answer that she lost.

But her response to Matt Lauer when asked about the experience? "I knew I was not going to win because I had spoken from my heart. I was true to myself. I don't take back what I said." How wonderful to know such people still exist.

As for Perez Hilton, here's what he has to say about Carrie Prejean: "She's a dumb bitch."

I am not a pessimistic person by nature, but this one may just change that about me.

0 Responses to “The Miss USA Debacle”: